Hi, welcome everybody! If you're not familiar with the story of CUPID STUPID, please go to Pages and click WHERE THE STORY ENDS. Read that prologue first and then catch up with the rest of us. For those of you familiar with the story of Chi Yat-Po and Twinkle, jump right in - the water's hot ...

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Episode Two: Like Wildfire In High Wind (II)

Two's a company, three's a crowd ... the dangers of an inter-office romance


Scene 2: Frankie’s Office at Tung Ming Toy Co.

For a minute, there is an uncomfortable silence. Just a minute, and then it passes.

Anna smiles and picks up a folder and hands it to Frankie. ‘I think this one is due as well – ’ she says. She turns and gives Jeff a tiny smile.

Twinkle catches the look. She is puzzled.

Jeff is impatient. ‘So Frankie, what is your decision on the matter?’

Frankie puts up a hand, he’s perusing the final details on an important account, does not want to break his concentration and start all over again. Chairman Cheuk is out of the office and will be back later in the afternoon for an important meeting and he needs to give an answer so that the team can move forward on this major account.

Twinkle tries to catch Anna’s eye but the latter is looking at Jeff’s face.

‘Frankie, can you please try not to keep us in suspense? We really need to know!’

Frankie puts down his document. He can see it’s no use telling Jeff to wait another minute. ‘Sit down, please, everyone sit down – ’

Twinkle slides into a chair next to Anna. Jeff sits at the far end.

‘Jeff, Twinkle, I’ve given this much thought. I’m prepared to give you both a second chance if you will reassure me that you yourselves have considered matters carefully and are serious in your decision. I hope you will not waver – ’

‘Of course, of course! Twinkle is a hundred-percent committed, I guarantee that!’

‘I need to hear that from Twinkle, not you, Jeff. Well, Twinkle – ’

She gazes up at Frankie, tears of gratitude glistening in her eyes. ‘Yes, I’m committed. I won’t back down from my resolve.’

‘Have you sorted out the things you needed sorting out? Have you given yourself a chance to think things over? Or do you need some more time? I'll understand if you need more time.’

Twinkle shakes her head. ‘No, I don’t want to think anymore. This is the best thing for me. I just need to keep busy with work, that’s what I need – ’

‘I’m glad to hear that. Well, Jeff, Anna, it looks like we have Twinkle back on the team. Anna, will you inform Human Resource to do up the necessary paperwork today?’

‘Of course, Jeff. I’ll do that straightaway – ’ Anna turns and smiles broadly at Twinkle, extends a hand. ‘Welcome back.’

Twinkle takes her hand, gives it a friendly shake. ‘Thank you so much. You don’t know how much this means to me.’

‘As long as you’re committed to your profession and are happy to continue working here with everybody, you’re welcomed anytime.’ Anna pulls Twinkle over for a quick hug.

‘Wonderful! Wonderful! Thanks so much for the second chance, Frankie! I can assure you I will make sure Twinkle gives her very best to the company!’ – Jeff pumps Frankie’s hands up and down. ‘I will supervise her like a hawk, she won’t have a second to goof off while I’m around, boss!’

Frankie breaks into a small laugh. ‘This company always values good people. Creativity, talent, hardwork and loyalty are what we appreciate. Twinkle has these values and we were so sorry when she quitted our team a few months back. But, I do understand sometimes one has personal issues that need sorting out and in order to do that, one needs to take a break from work. I just hope there are no more personal issues between the two of you and we can get back to work as professionals once more – ’

‘Don’t you worry, I’m always professional in my conduct!’

Jeff reaches over and gives Twinkle’s hand a squeeze. ‘The skies are blue again!’

But she has no eyes for him at the moment. She is staring at Anna, a very strange thought is crossing her mind.

‘Anna, can we have lunch together afterwards?’

‘Sure, Twinkle, of course, I'd love to.’

‘All right, you guys – ’ Frankie switches back to general manager-mode, ‘back to work before I bring out the big stick!’

Anna leads Twinkle out of the room with a friendly hand on the shoulders while Jeff skips out behind them. 'Ooh, I have my foot-shuttle partner back again, ' he says, sing-song.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for updating. Sorry for the late comment because I was so busy last week. Anyway, great updates. I'm feeling the flavour back from CS, especially Josephine. She is still as funny and busybody but lovable as before.
Another note though, I'm not sure whether you are trying to turn me into a Twinkle-Goon Sing camp instead. Gosh, yeah, Yat Bo's fans, kill me if I become a traitor. Somehow, Twinkle's dad's words are pretty convincing, and I guess it adds special weight since it comes from the father, although I can't agree with him that his door is of different material than Yat Bo's. And Yat Bo is definitely not as unambitious as his father. At least he knows how to save money, unlike his father who will always spend money to help others. Like Yat Bo said, not that it's a bad thing to help others, but first we have to know our own capability.

I wonder what Anna and Twinkle will talk about to each other.

gaby cheung said...

Yes, Josephine's quite a darling, isn't she! When I first watched CS, I wasn't paying too much attention to her because the writers set her up so plain and homely. But as the story developed, I discovered what a lovable and hilarious character she was despite all her rough edges.

Yes, Kan Sui Zhong is trying to turn me to the Twinkle-Goon Sing camp. He's pretty convincing. Now to see if he's right!

The big question for me now is what Yat-Po will do -- how is he going to face his days without Jing Ko. I want to see what sort of man he is. Seems to have substance. The question is: how much substance?

Anna is a very mysterious lady to me. She is gentle, pretty, charming and caring. I'm hoping she finds love too. Frankie's hanging around, I wonder if he'll be the one...or will there be somebody else?

Thanks for feedback. Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Yeah, Kingdom is really hilarious and funny and cute as Josephine. It's great that she is so strong despite all the mishaps she has to endure because of Mang Bing.

Is Anna very mysterious to you? I thought she is a pretty simple lady. She is intelligent, gentle, caring, and knows what she wants. I think Frankie definitely suits her better in terms of personality because both of them are serious people so they will feel safer and more comfortable with each other. I definitely have faith that they will tie the knot one day.

As for Yat Bo-Twinkle-Jeff, I will leave it up to you to write and let's see what thought I will have about it later :)

gaby cheung said...

Yes, Frankie does grow on you, doesn't he? At first glance, he appears to be the good-looking, obnoxious, arrogant type. But as the story unfolds, we see he has more depth than Jeff, a definitely worthy candidate for the company's top post. Initially, I was worried TVB would just make him a pretty boy character -- which would be a waste. Sometimes, it isn't so good to be good-looking -- others just obsess about your looks and bypass your inner qualities.

I hope Anna will give Frankie a chance, if and when Frankie makes the move.

Regarding Kingdom Yuen -- is it just me or has Kingdom aged a bit too rapidly? I remember watching older dramas and I was a bit startled to see how much she has aged in Cupid Stupid. Any idea what was the last series she was in before this? I'm just curious to see what happened between then and now. She's an excellent actor, always a solid performance.